Guest post by Gretta Weaver. Gretta prepared this as a prayer guide for our church in preparation for our Vacation Bible School. I post it here in case others would like to use it for their Vacation Bible School or adapt it for other children’s ministries.
Paul, an apostle—not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead—and all the brothers who are with me, To the churches of Galatia: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ,
- Thank God for it the power of the gospel that He used to save us from our sins.
- Pray that workers and teachers of VBS would proclaim the gospel that saves and allow it to motivate them this week in serving.
For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man’s gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.
- Pray that God would reveal himself to the children through the gospel this week at VBS.
- Pray that the teachers would be able to present the gospel clearly. Pray for the children to respond through faith and repentance.
Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery—to them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you.
- Pray that God would have shield the VBS classes from untruths that would distort and confuse the gospel truth.
- Pray for those who are hearing a false gospel regularly (at their home church or from their family) that they would hear the true gospel and respond by faith and repentance.
- Pray that parents would recognize the difference and believe the true gospel.
Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.
- Pray that God send poor, dirty, misbehaving children who have been hurt.
- Pray that we would be compassionate and love them like Jesus would.
- Pray that God would send outcasts and those who are difficult to deal with due to broken homes, poverty, and sin.
- Pray that God would equip, by His Holy Spirit to minister to these children instead of criticizing them to others.
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
- Pray that this would be the attitude of workers toward each other, as well as the children.
But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another. Galatians 5:15
- Pray that as the week goes on and the workers get tired, that they recognize the temptations of the enemy to cause disunity and be intentional with encouraging one another and promoting peace.