One of the challenges of the task of the Pastor-Historian is remaining sharp mentally and up-to-date with current discussions. One aid to this difficulty are the abundance of podcasts that can helpfully stimulate the mind of the Pastor-Historian. Below are some of the podcasts related to historical themes that I listen to regularly.
- Great Speeches in History A podcast devoted to the great thinkers, statesman and other public orators that have graced us throughout history with their words. Complete audio of great speeches in history with original audio, if available. If original audio not available the speeches are narrated by a reader.
- U. S. Presidents Podcast Each episode will provide a brief biographical portrait of each president, explore the eras in which they led the country, and access the historical significance they hold for us today. This is a podcast for those that wish to gain a complete knowledge of the commander in chief.
- 5 Minutes in Church History This podcast is hosted by Dr. Stephen Nichols and is a weekly podcast that provides an informal and informative look at church history.
- Thinking in Public An interview forum, hosted by Albert Mohler, for intelligent conversation about frontline theological and cultural issues.
- The Confessing Baptist Podcast This podcast includes interviews and discussion of all things that might be of interest to confessional Baptists, thus a heavy weight toward 17th & 18th century Baptist life and theology.
- The Philosophy Podcast Features audio renditions of classic philosophy from such greats as Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Nietzsche and much more.
- NPR Books Podcast NPR book reviews, news and author interviews — for people who love to read.
That’s my list. What would you add? Remember this is not a list of sermon podcasts, but of resources to help pastors think historically.