As I was reading the book, I kept thinking to myself that I needed to go back and compile a handout of all the advice to weaken pride and cultivate humility which C.J. was giving in this book. When I reached the end of the book I found the list already provided in the form of an appendix (pp. 171-172). What a good idea for making this book even more practical! Well I typed out the list from the back which summarizes the final section of the book which focuses on “the practice of humility.” The list is included below. To see all of this material fleshed out you must buy the book however. Mahaney presents this important material with his characteristic ability to both communicate Biblical truth while sharing personal anecdotes along the way to drive the truth home. His works (and this one is no exception) are also full of quotes from and recommendations of favorite authors who have extended treatments of the topic under discussion. This is truly a gold mine! I also came across a free download of a pdf of some of an expanded outline of some of the following on the Sovereign Grace Ministries website. To download this pdf click here. Below is the list which I copied from pages 171-172 of Humility. I placed this material on a 5.5 x 8.5 sheet to print out for handy access as a reminder of the practical suggestions of the book. I recommend that you do the same after experiencing the book in its fulness.
A List of Suggestions
by C.J. Mahaney
1. Reflect on the wonder of the cross of Christ.
AS EACH DAY BEGINS:
2. Begin your day by acknowledging your dependence upon God and your need for God.
3. Begin your day expressing gratefulness to God.
4. Practice the spiritual disciplines – prayer, study of God’s Word, worship. Do this consistently each day and at the day’s outset if possible.
5. Seize your commute time to memorize and meditate on Scripture.
6. Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.
AS EACH DAY ENDS:
7. At the end of the day, transfer the glory to God.
8. Before going to sleep, receive this gift of sleep from God and acknowledge His purpose for sleep.
FOR SPECIAL FOCUS:
9. Study the attributes of God.
10. Study the doctrines of grace.
11. Study the doctrine of sin.
12. Play golf as much as possible.
13. Laugh often, and laugh often at yourself.
THROUGHOUT YOUR DAYS AND WEEKS:
14. Identify evidences of grace in others.
15. Encourage and serve others each and every day.
16. Invite and pursue correction.
17. Respond humbly to trials.