- In this excellent article by Tom Ascol (executive director of Founder’s Ministries), pastors are encouraged to be theologians. This article, which is titled “The Pastor as Theologian,” traces the history of the modern day separation between the pastor and theologian into two distinct people. In addition there are numerous helpful suggestions for how a pastor can equip himself theologically.
- This article by B.B. Warfield is titled “The Indispensableness of Systematic Theology to the Preacher“. ‘Nuff said.
- This article is a short essay by Martin Luther called “How to Study Theology.” Luther’s devotional approach to theology is extremely helpful.
- This article by Greg Wills (professor of Church History at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY), is a reminder of the historic theological identity of Baptists. A much needed article for Baptist pastors in our day in light of the current popular view of Baptist identity being merely individual liberty of conscience. The article is titled: “Who are the True Baptists? The Conservative Resurgence and the Influence of Moderate Views of Baptist Identity.”
- A biographical approach to this topic is offered by John Piper in a lecture which he gave on the life of Jonathan Edwards titled: “The Pastor as Theologian: Reflections on the Ministry of Jonathan Edwards.”
I hope these articles are an encouragement to you. Tolle Lege! “Take Up and Read!”
Filed under: Uncategorized